xAsm supports several types of symbols:
A symbol cannot have the same name as a reserved keyword.
- Label. Used to assign a memory location with a name
- EQUate. Give a constant a name.
- SET. Same as EQUate but with a subtle difference. You can change the value of a SET during assembling.
- Structures (the RS group). Define a structure easily.
- String equate (EQUS). Give an often used string a name. Can also be used as a mini-macro. Much like #define in C.
- MACROs. A block of code or pseudo instructions that you invoke like any other mnemonic. You can give them arguments too! Life is good.
Last updated 02 July 1997 by Carsten Sorensen